Friday, November 09, 2007

Awareness

November 4-10 is Infertility Awareness Week. Today in particular is "ask your employer for coverage" day.

We are infertile. It is not something I would wish on anyone, and the bad feelings infertility brings do not go away with the conception or birth of your child. What really throws a wrench into this medical problem (because it is a medical issue, like cancer or diabeties) is that health insurance usually won't cover it. They may cover the infertility diagnosis, but no treatment. We were lucky enough to have 50% coverage when we were trying for Logan, but we will not have that "luxury" next time around. No, if we want to try for another, we will be paying 100% of our care. Thousands of dollars to try for what others get for free. It is maddening and frustrating and all over unfair. Today I asked for my work to cover it. I will ask Don's work to cover infertility treatment. I will ask California to mandate infertility treatment coverage. I am not holding my breath.

1 comment:

neko and the crocodile said...

It's true... infertility doesn't just go away after the baby is born. Looks like it's a good time for a letter to my senator, she's running for prez right now. Maybe if she wins we will get something resembling national health care started in this country. Making people aware of this issue is so important. Thanks.