Monday, August 27, 2007

Unexpected stillness

We have a weekend routine that is working really well for us. It will have to be altered some when Don starts Saturday classes in a few weeks (don't get me started on how unhappy we are about this, however they can't be avoided), but currently things are great. Don gets up with the boy on Saturday and I sleep in until 8 or so. The responsibilities are reversed on Sunday.

Sometimes I don't want to get up early simply because I love sleeping in. And by sleeping in, I mean getting up after 6:30. It's really hit or miss with the boy as to what time our morning will begin. Don got lucky a few days last week and Hoagie slept until 7:30. This is unheard of. He totally has my morning person personality, and I love him for it. As a girl, I used to turn my clock radio forward (the kind with the flippy numbers) until my allowed wake-up time so I could go get my parents early. I have a feeling he will be the same. As an adult 5:30 really isn't that great. It's dark out, you probably stayed up later than 7:30 pm, and nothing is open. Even the cat is still sleeping. Try telling that to a toddler though and he won't care.

So Saturday night I told Don that he needed to get up on Sunday because of his recent good luck and extra sleep (never mind that it was his birthday and all). I was half kidding and feeling guilty that I wasn't gung-ho about spending time with Logan in the wee morning hours.

Well, I am glad I didn't shirk my duties because Sunday morning my child (yes! my child!) cuddled with me voluntarily. It was glorious and he was mostly still. This is quite a feat for our "always busy" boy. He also brought me two books to read and he sat on my lap for almost all of them. He has no need for endings, I guess he likes a cliffhanger.

Anyway, I thought this wonderful morning should be recorded in history, as who knows when the cuddling will repeat itself. The books are becoming a steady thing, but the snuggles? They are fleeting. And it makes them all the more special. *swoon*

No comments: